Why is the bird sitting on the ground without moving? It is enjoying its moments, taking a dust bath, or simply resting in a positive sense. Otherwise, there can be several other (negative) reasons why it worries you. Maybe the birdie suffers from a disease, infection, aging, or injury.
It’s strangely calming to watch a bird sitting on the ground, not moving. It’s like the birdie is in a world of its own, lost in its thoughts, or simply living the day.
Sometimes they are seen standing still on one leg while hiding another one inside feather. Overall, the scenario can be a warning of both positive and negative things.
You should inspect the issue first. Otherwise, it’s better not to disturb the sitting bird alone. Bird lovers know the feeling of letting birds remain silent without tweeting. Inspecting the reasons and taking the required steps can keep it playful and lively.
This article elaborates on all the possible causes with a proper explanation that you will surely understand.
Bird Sitting on Ground Not Moving – The Possible Reasons
It’s always fascinating to watch birds in their natural habitat and interact with the environment. They seem so vulnerable and exposed when they’re sitting on the ground.
But they’re also incredibly alert, constantly scanning their surroundings for any potential threats.
However, these below can be possible reasons to bird sitting still without showing interest in anything:
1. The bird has a Disease that Causes Inactive
A bird can be sitting only because of its sickness. After all, they are like any other animals with the traits of unexpected illness.
Many diseases wait for any bird, so you should always regularly take the bird to the vet.
Some of the diseases that can cause a bird to be inactive include:
- Chlamydiosis: It is a bacterial infection that is common in all kinds of birds. It affects the respiratory system, skin, and eyes of birds.
- Gout: This is a condition that can cause arthritis-like symptoms in birds.
- Parasites: Birds can be infected with internal or external parasites, which can cause various health problems.
2. The Bird is Infected with Common Diseases
Another reason a bird may be sitting on the ground stiff is an infection. Usually, bacteria, viruses, or fungi are responsible for the infection. It can affect different parts of the bird’s body.
Some of the infections that can cause a bird to be inactive include:
- Aspergillosis: It is a fungal infection common in pet birds. It can seriously disturb the respiratory system of birds.
- Psittacosis: It is a bacterial infection that mostly occurs in parrot family birds. This infection impacts the respiratory system, skin, and eyes of birds.
- Salmonellosis: It transmits through droppings and saliva, especially when the birds are together. The digestive system of birds gets hampered due to salmonellosis.
3. The Bird is suffering from Injuries
Maybe the lovely feathered friend is sitting on the ground still to an injury. Typically, they can injure themselves in a variety of ways.
Some of the injuries that can cause a bird to be inactive include:
- Broken bones: Birds can break their bones if they fall or are hit by something.
- Concussions: Birdies can get concussions if hit by something or fall from a height.
- Wounds: Birds can get injuries if another animal attacks them or gets caught on something.
4. The Bird is Aging
Age can be why the cute bird is not moving a bit. Like other lively beings, birds also get older.
While growing older, they face versatile health problems that lead them to remain less active. Maybe your bird is not getting sufficient strength to move correctly.
Some of the age-related health problems that can cause a bird to be inactive include:
- Osteoarthritis: It is a common form of arthritis in birds. It causes joint pain and stiffness in birds.
- Cataracts: This is a condition that can cause cloudy vision in birds.
- Kidney disease: Aged birds can have kidney failure.
Relevant Queries about Bird Sitting on the Ground
What should you do when you see a bird sitting still?
If you see any bird remaining silent, sitting on the ground without moving, you should pick it up.
Then, check its health and try to check if it flies outside. If everything sounds terrible, contact the vet as soon as possible.
Is it okay for a bird to sit on the ground, not moving?
It can be expected, depending on why the bird is not moving. If the bird is sick, injured, or elderly, it might not be able to move around much.
However, it is not customary to sit on the ground, not moving if healthy and young.
How do you know your birdie is dying?
There are many signs that a bird is dying. Some common symptoms include ruffled feathers, weakness, weight loss, lethargy, and loss of appetite.
Sometimes it may be sitting on the ground, being less active, or closing its eyes.
There are a few reasons why a bird sitting on the ground is not moving. It might be sick, injured, or elderly. Check out the reasons why the birdie is in this situation.
If you find it sick, injured, or elderly, it is better to contact a veterinarian for assistance. You may also contact the local wildlife rehabilitation center for a quick suggestion.
As a bird enthusiast, I write to inspire and educate others about the beauty and importance of avian species in our ecosystem. Find me in Twitter