What essential oils can prevent birds from making nests? A few essential oils can be used to keep birds away from making a house. Citronella, peppermint, lavender, cinnamon, clove, oregano, eucalyptus, pine, tea tree, and basil oils are some incredible essential oils that work as bird deterrents.
Birds are lovely creatures, and many of us love to see them around. If they select your home as their shelter, their generations will remain in the built nests.
Hence, it is easy for the birds to transform into resident birds; they can be nuisances over time. Their nests become destructive to the property. You can apply essential oils to keep birds from building nests if it happens to you.
This article explains several facts about essential oils and their roles in making things less attractive so that birds cannot build nests.
Birds can create problems by nesting on your property
Birds can be a real nuisance when they nest on your property. They can damage your property and even pose a health hazard. Here are some of the problems that birds can create when they nest on your property:
- Birds can make a real mess. Their droppings can stain your siding, walkways, and outdoor furniture.
- Birds can damage your property. Their nesting material can clog your gutters and downspouts. Again, their sharp beaks can puncture your screens and windows.
- Birds can pose a health hazard. Their droppings can harbor diseases that can be harmful to humans. Also, their nesting material can attract insects that can also transmit diseases.
Consult with a professional if you have a bird problem on your property. Trying to do it yourself can often make the situation worse.
How to lose interest in birds nesting on your property?
You may want to make a bird nursery if you are a bird lover. But sometimes, birds can be persistent in trying to build a nest in your yard. Some tips to help discourage nesting birds from making your garden their home.
- Keep your yard neat and clean. Birds are more likely to build a nest in a cluttered area. So, make sure to keep your yard tidy.
- Remove any potential nesting materials. It includes things like sticks, twigs, leaves, and other debris.
- Trim back any overgrown vegetation. Birds like to nest in areas with dense vegetation. So, trimming back any green plants will make your garden less attractive to them.
- Install bird netting. It will help keep birds out of your garden and from potential nesting areas.
- Use scare tactics. Birds are easily scared away by loud noises and bright lights. So, try hanging some wind chimes or placing a spotlight in your garden.
Following these tips, you can help discourage nesting birds from making your garden their home.
How can essential oils keep birds from building nests?
There are a few reasons birds cannot build nests for essential oils.
- First, essential oils are very concentrated. They are toxic to birds if they inhale them or ingest them.
- Second, essential oils can cause skin irritation and respiratory problems in birds.
- Third, birds are sensitive to the smells of essential oils.
- Finally, essential oils can evaporate quickly, making them unsuitable for use in nests.
What essential oils can keep birds from building nests?
There are a few essential oils that can keep birds from building nests. Some of these include:
- Citronella: This oil is commonly used to keep mosquitoes away, keeping birds at bay. Diffuse it or apply it topically to areas where you do not want birds to nest.
- Cinnamon: A few drops of this oil can be diffused into the air to keep birds away.
- Peppermint: This oil has a strong scent that birds do not like. You can diffuse it or apply it directly to areas where you do not want birds to nest.
- Lavender: This oil has a calming aroma that birds do not find appealing. You can diffuser it or apply it directly to areas where you do not want birds to nest.
- Basil: Some people suggest that using basil oils can prevent birds away because they don’t like the strong smell of the basil.
- Clove: Mixing 2tbsp clove oil with 10tbsp water can create an effective bird deterrent solution. So, birds will not nest on your property.
Some other essential oils can be oregano, eucalyptus, pine, tea tree, and basil oils which work well in this situation. You may try any of them.
Apply essential oils to prevent birds from building nests
Essential oils are a great way to keep birds from building nests in your yard or garden. There are a few ways to apply them like these:
- The most effective is to mix them with water in a spray bottle. Then spray the areas where you don’t want birds to build.
- You can also apply essential oils to a piece of cloth or cotton ball. Then, please place it in the area you don’t want birds to nest.
- You can also add a few drops of oil to a diffuser. Then, use it in the areas where you do not want birds to build a nest.
You can apply your essential oil in these areas to get benefits:
- Around the perimeter of your home
- On your porch or deck
- On trees or shrubs in your yard
- On any outdoor furniture
- Anywhere else you typically see birds congregating
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you apply essential oils to deter birds?
You can either diffuse the oils into the air, make a solution and spray it, or apply them directly to surfaces.
How long do essential oils last?
Essential oils will typically last for a few hours before they need to be reapplied.
Do essential oils harm birds?
No, essential oils are not harmful to birds.
You have the option to use essential oils to keep birds from building nests. Essential oils make the area less attractive to birds and discourage them from nesting. Lastly, many oils can be applied to prevent birds from nesting.
As a bird enthusiast, I write to inspire and educate others about the beauty and importance of avian species in our ecosystem. Find me in Twitter