In reality, a bird eats a seed as food; on the other hand, a weevil eats the seed. It becomes complicated when weevils are in bird seeds and wastes food. In a few cases, birds eat seeds with weevils, but it is a big no when we are talking about pet birds.
Weevils in our food are terrible, but we have to face it often. But do birds eat them? You will find every bird owner will ask it.
So, we will discuss birds eating seeds with weevils. Let’s make it clear and present some real facts. When we talk about our pet birds, it is not the right thing to do. It has both hygiene and health issues for your pet bird.
Let’s have a detailed discussion on it then.
Do birds like Weevils?
In general, birds eat insects. But, we have to understand which kind of birds we are talking about.
Weevils are insects that live on trees, and the common birds eat them. It is the best way to get rid of insects is by controlling them or letting birds eat them.
But it’s not good to allow our pet birds to eat them.
In several cases, they are poisonous and can be fatal for our birds as pet birds don’t eat insects very often. So, not based on the issue of whether we like weevils or not, we should not allow them to eat weevils.
Weevils are very hard to get rid of. They waste our stored foods like rice, corn, and other food grains.
So, here eating birds will not be the solution; it will be better to control it.
Similarly, a few people ask, can budgies eat weevils? The answer is simple; Yes, they can.
Why do Weevils stay in Seeds?
Weevils generally go after stored seeds, rice, flour, and other foods. Bird seeds face a common problem; weevils also attack them when they are open and not stored properly.
If you want to protect the seeds from this pest, you need to destroy the weevil nest before it can lay its eggs.
Bird Seeds are a very important portion of their food, and they enjoy eating them, but weevils make it difficult for them. So, in some cases, the birds may avoid seeds with weevils.
Will birds eat weevils? It will fully depend on the birds, but we should not allow that.
But be careful; if there are bird-seed webs, birds will not touch them.
How to get rid of bird seed weevils?
If your birds do not like weevils in seed, then you have to take the necessary steps to remove them. The steps could be like the below:
- Do not store open old foods; older foods have more infestation issues
- Keep all unopened foods in the freezer
- Keep all the cages and accessories clean
- Always buy new bird foods after each 5-7 days
- Preserve extra bird foods and seeds in an airtight container
There are more issues with weevils as they are a common pest. They also destroy crops and be harmful to your home and garden. We need to keep them away from our plants so that they don’t cause any damage anymore.
Impact of eating Weevils
Weevils are edible, but they are not harmful to birds. From the view of the food value and source of protein, we can say that easily. Pet birds are sophisticated; they might not be able to digest weevils in their food, which may cause indigestion and severe health issues.
However, they can also cause damage to bird eggs and nestlings. Moreover, they may spread disease to birds. The best way to avoid this is to keep food grains and seeds safe and in an airtight container. All the tips we have shared on will bird eat seeds with weevils will be helpful for you.
How to prevent weevil infestations in bird seed
1. Proper storage and handling of bird seed
- Store bird seed in a cool, dry place to prevent weevil infestations
- Keep bird seed in airtight containers to prevent pests from getting in
- Regularly clean and maintain bird feeders to prevent the buildup of old, unused seed that may attract weevils
2. Use of weevil-resistant bird seed
- Look for bird seed that has been treated with insecticides to prevent weevil infestations
- Keep in mind that some bird species may be sensitive to certain insecticides, so be sure to choose a seed that is safe for the birds you are feeding
3. Natural methods for controlling weevils in bird seed
- Use diatomaceous earth, a natural powder made from fossilized algae, around the base of bird feeders to deter weevils
- Place bay leaves or whole cloves in the bird seed to repel weevils
- Try freezing the bird seed for a week before use, as this can kill any weevils that may be present
- Consider using cedar chips or cedar oil, as the strong smell of these natural substances can deter weevils and other pests
It is the best way to control spreading weevils. A detailed discussion has been made on will birds eat seed with weevils; now, you can take the necessary steps that are perfect for your birds.
As a bird enthusiast, I write to inspire and educate others about the beauty and importance of avian species in our ecosystem. Find me in Twitter